Tuesday, March 10, 2009

From the Casebook of Ted Setter, P.I. ....

Who is Ariel Dane?

She is beautiful -- I know that much.

Classically beautiful, like Hollywood starlets used to be. The photo I have of her is black and white, just like the best photos of those Golden Age actresses.

She has sunset hair; golden brown and glowing crimson rays distracting you from the underlying dusk. Her eyes are green, I was told. In my photograph they look like silvered ice.

Who is Ariel Dane? The kind of woman you can't miss.

Her husband is a drunk.

I want to suspect him in her disappearance but I can't. He's not bright enough. He has nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. He makes a good living; she's a housewife. They have three kids in college. All artists; go figure.
She's the kind of woman you don't let go of.
The poor bastard is devastated. It's only hopelessness and that slick attorney of his that let him give up on the search.
Paycheck or not, I'm not giving up on you, Ariel Dane.
I'm not hopeless yet. I don't have a slick attorney.
I used to wake up knowing who I was.
Ted Setter, P.I. This is my office. This is my calendar. Make an appointment, come on in, tell me about your problems.
I'm not even sure where I am this morning. Woke up in my car because I rolled into town too late to find my way around. No 7-11 in sight, but this is the kind of city that should have them.
Desperation clings to the streets like last night's rain. But the puddles of it don't just lay there defeated. They drive around in their abused and lonely cars and hurry to catch the bus, carrying on as though they have something to carry on for. But their eyes tell another story.
Why did you come here, Ariel Dane?
There goes my whole case.

I roll down the window to blow smoke out of my car, and my only lead flies out into the street. A single sheet of white paper with a heartless three-line message scrawled in blue ink.
Mr. Dane doesn't believe she wrote it, and I can't say I blame him. I've never met her, but I don't believe it either. Not because it's too heartless, but because it's too brief.
Dennis, there is someone else. I won't be back. Please tell the kids I love them.
Ariel Dane didn't write this. But its hotel watermark is all I have to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment